Friday, March 21, 2008

So the countdown is.......


......4 days until I leave for Italy. I started this blog as a travel blog of sorts maybe I'll use it for all my trips. I'm going on a church pilgrimmage to Rome & Assisi. My priest Fr. Brian brought the trip to our attention (our meaning my darling daughter Jackie and me). Fr. Brian and Fr. Michael put this trip together along with lots of hard work for Michael of St. Ursula. So here we are 40 of us, 3 priests, 1 deacon and parishoners from the Archdiocese of Baltimore (St. Ursula's, St. Jane Frances and St. John's of Westminster).


Pretty exciting. We leave the day after Easter and return on the 31st. We are going to Rome and Assissi. I am just about ready. Luggage just about packed and getting together all the things one needs for a trip, money, camera, snacks for the plane (can't forget the snacks-it's an 8 hour flight!)


We are very prepared. I took a conversational italian class...of course I don't remember much and Jackie took 2 levels of Italian at the local community college.


I'm looking forward to this trip. I have always dreamed about going. I need the spiritual growth that I will find as a result of visiting these holy places and the tombs of the saints....a week of prayer and reflection in a place rich with 2000 years of Christian History. A place also that means so much to me not just spiritually but personally as it is a place of my roots (well at least 1/2 of my roots).


My paternal grandparents were from Fiuggi Italy (Iori and Pannoni). My Dad talks about how every time Grandpop heard the song Arriverderci Roma he would cry because he missed his home and beloved Rome. I'm taking him back in spirit. I have this picture of my grandpop, grandmom and grandmom's brother (we called him Zi-short for Zio uncle in Italian). I hope they are looking down from heaven knowing that I'm taking them home even if for just a short time and in spirit.
I would like to thank my daugher Jackie who has given this trip to me as a special gift. She is a special gift...my Sunshine! :)


So stay tuned folks and come along with me on my journey back home. I plan to have Jackie and others perhaps post their experiences as well.

3 comments:

kris said...

Wow!! Have a wonderful trip!!! I look forward to reading about it.

TheChinaPainter said...

Wow! That will be a wonderful trip. I would like to make that kind of trip one of these days soon - like to Israel and Ireland.
Thanks for your kind compliment on my blog. Nice to meet a fellow china painter I will browse around later and see if you have posted pictures of any of your china painting.

Lisa said...

I am so excited about your trip I can't wait to hear from you! :) I have been thinking about where you are since you left hope you are doing ok and having the time of our life! :) Love ya Lisa