Thursday, March 27, 2008

Day Three

Now we are caught up..it's today. We went to the vatican today and had mass one of the chapels in the crypt. We were surrounded by the bodies of former popes and John Paul. Other people were having masses in other chapels down there in various languages. Parts of our mass and thiers was in latin. So at some points we were all in unison ...the body of christ and the universal catholic church. I was moved to tears.

But it got even more emotional. We went up to St Peter's where there were several smaller chapels all along the sides. There were masses going on everywhere in these little chapels. Some priests giving mass with no people, some with only a few. As large as that place is it was quiet except for the sounds of the priests some singing, some praying on altars where saints bodies are laid in glass coffins under the altars. There was a large statute of St Peter that we were able to touch...thousands maybe millions had also done so and the foot was worn down. There was such an overwhelming presence of God there that I couldnt hold back the tears. It was more than I could take, I had to walk away. I prayed for you there at each site, each relic, each tomb...I prayed for you and your special intentions.

Then off to the Sistine chapel so large so beautiful, 4 yrs it took to paint that ceiling, 5 years to paint the wall. Ill never complain again about taking a long time to paint something. Then through the Vatican museum but only the first floor, then off to the catacombs...the burial place of St. Cecelia and the martyrs....I prayed for you there.......I am on spiritual overload.....tomorrow we are off to Assisi home of St. Francis....where again I will pray for you.

1 comment:

johnboyle said...

Sounds like your having an awesome time. I prayed for you all while I was on retreat. I hope you keep having a great time. I think Assisi is one of the most beautiful towns I have ever been to. Even though I am off retreat, I will continue to pray for your travels and gratiously accept all the prays you are praying for us. seminarian John Boyle