Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11th reflection......

...where was I when it happened? I was off from work. I had volunteered to help 4-H setting up for the county fair. I was watching TV and as I was eating my breakfast I saw it happen. I was stunned. All I could do was watch with wide eyes. Then as they played the tape of the first plane, a flash to a real time video of the second plane. I dropped my spoon and broke into tears. Those people. God help those people. My heart was breaking for the them, for their families for all of America watching in horror.

I immediately called my daughter at college. Was she safe? She was asleep. I pleaded with her to watch the TV. Then it was time to go to the fairgrounds.

I don't know how I drove there at day. It was all a fog. I went into the exhibition hall and no one knew what had happened. They had been there early. I had to break the news to everyone--another horror. Radios came out of the woodwork as everyone tried to listen to the news. We cried each time a tower fell.

Remaining there working in a fog, I felt safe but I worried for my children, my husband. I called them. Jackie said college was closing. She didnt' know what to do. I told her come home quickly but becareful. Joe who worked at the guitar factory over the otherside of the bay said they were closing because they were afraid the Bay Bridge would close and everyone would be stranded on the other side. I told him come to the fairgrounds. No crazy terrorist would think about the fairgrounds with no one but us and the cows there (it hadn't opened to the public yet) Glenn was at the power plant...on high alert. But he was safe.

It was the worse time of my life. I hurt for everyone who was lost that day. The tears were a continuous running faucet. Then came the silence. No planes in the air. Only the sound of jets flying over Annapolis. It was unsettling.

The next day I went to church for daily mass where usually about 30 go.....it was packed.At the end we sang God Bless America and to this day I cannot hear that song nor think of it without shedding tears.

God Bless America. God Bless those lost that day. God Bless their families. God have mercy on the souls of those who did that horrible thing. I hope never to experience something like that again.

No comments: