Saturday, August 23, 2008

Fair or Not Fair?

Ha ha ha..........got your attention...this has nothing to do with being fair or what's fair. It has to do with the fact that State Fair began yesterday and I'm the exhibits coordinator for my agency at the MD Department of Natural Resources.

Set up went marvelous. Everything was wonderful. I had folks bring me fish and aquatic insects. They did an outstanding job bringing a nice variety. That was Thursday. On Friday I worked the exhibit. I like to work the first and last day and then I get people from our agency to work the other days and I'm on call. Well the first day was MOBBED. This year the MD State Fair built us a building. In past years we were in a tent. What a wonderful change. We had AC!!!! So I didn't have to go through 40 lbs of ice a day for the fish!

It was much nicer and cleaner too! I only had a couple of mini-disasters during the first day. When I arrived 3 blacknose dace had jumped out of the stream tank. And there was one dead. A tadpole jumped out of the touch tank. He ended up going back in for food for the crayfish. Speaking of the crayfish, the little devils ate my stonefly! Oh well. We will be needing more aquatic insects midweek. I can see that now.

Today was the MD River of Words ceremony. I run the poetry & art contest for kids. It went really well. I had arranged for the kids to get discount ride tickets this year. So most of the pressure is off of me for this fair week...so I guess it's fair huh? Nah, actually it's not fair, it's EXCELLENT....hope the rest of the week and breakdown goes just as well.

No comments: