Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's Day Reflection

Yesterday I spent the day at my parents. My Dad is 81 years old. Sometimes I look at him and think he looks so old. Yesterday he was working away helping me get ready for our little get together, cleaning up the screened porch. He looked old to me but then again when I watched him talk later, he reminded me of Dad as I've always known him.

I have such mixed emotions about him getting old. It's like I don't feel older but I watch my parents and I think I must be older, they are getting older...why don't I feel old????

Anyway, as Dad and I sat on the pier alone fishing, I thought I am lucky to have had such a wonderful father. He's not much of a fisherman but he's such a wonderful father. When I was little he would get me up at the crack of dawn, "gotta wake up before the fish, they get up early". We never got many fish but it was always a wonderful bonding experience. Mom didn't like to fish so it was me and Dad and my brother Joe.....it was our time. We might not have liked getting up early but it was fun to be out on the water.

The boat is long gone now but we still have those moments on the pier and I'm thankful for it. (and thankful I didn't catch a fish so I didn't have to clean it!)

No comments: