Thursday, April 24, 2014

One More Day

Well tomorrow is the day. I'm not going to get much sleep tonight!!!! We leave from Baltimore and go to NY City and then off to Rome! It's a night flight but because it's not a direct flight there is a long layover in NY City. But that's okay.

When it is time to go to Fiuggi, my genealogist hooked me up with a cab driver in Sora. It's going to be a long day for him driving from Sora to Rome to Fiuggi! The drive to Fiuggi from Rome is a little over an hour. I hope that when we drive up I see this view of the city. I'd like to get a comparison photo.

As I was going through the post cards I saw this one of the lake. I don't remember reading about a lake and I was sort of surprised.  So being the Google Queen, I googled it.

According to an Italian website:  "Lazio’s largest karst lake, Lake Canterno, can be found in the heart of the Ciociaria area, at just a short distance from the town of Alatri, at the foot of the Ernici mountains, set in an isolated hollow encircled by oak trees and woods.
Situated at a height of 538 metres, it is surrounded by gentle, hilly countryside and protected by the Lake Canterno Nature Reserve. It occupies a surface area of 0.6 m2, has a perimeter of approximately 5 km and its depth ranges from 13 to 25 metres. The lake is approximately 2 km long and 1 km wide."

When I read this I thought hummm, Alatri. I have heard of that town. According to my genealogist, Ann Tatangelo, Giuseppi Iori (my 3rd Great Grandfather) came from Alatri to Fiuggi in the 1700s. I can't wait until Ann gets back to our family tree.....I would love to know what the Iori family (then known as Iorio) were doing during that time.


That was a time in history called the Enlightenment when Italy was under the Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II. This was the time when Napoleon Buonaparte was doing his thing in France and bringing the Renaissance to Italy . The Trevi Fountain was finished after 30 years in 1762. And Johann Sebastian Bach was making beautiful music. Exciting times....I can only imagine what my family was doing during this period of history.

No comments: