Monday, April 28, 2014

Food, fun and faith...

The day started with morning Mass at St. Peters. We didn't know it but they were having a special polish mass.  We found ourselves in the middle of thousands of people singing Polish hymns.  It was quite beautiful.

Most of the mass I could not understand but a Polish woman would translate for us. During Mass the Polish woman pointed out 2 birds circling the dome of St Peter's. She said in broken English...St John Paul II and St John XX III they come to be with us. I got goosebumps.

Then we went back to the pantheon where we were able to go inside. It was an absolutely beautiful church.

Along the way we stopped in to a pizza shop because I was hungry.  I bought some potato pizza from young man he told me he was not an Italian. He asked me if I could guess where he was from. He looked to be from the Middle East. So I said from the Middle East. He said yes where? I said now don't be insulted if I get it wrong because I know you all don't get along over there. And he laughed and said he wouldn't. Then I guessed Egyptian.  He was shocked that I got it right. I made a new friend.

Leaving the pantheon we stopped for a special treat Genitini ...or something like that.  Basically it
 was espresso in  ice form with whipped cream top and bottom. It was strong but very good.

We stumbled on a church with the remains of St Catherine of Siena. Her coffin was marble in her image. We were able to walk into the glass altar and kneel and pray. I had gotten a prayer card that I held to the coffin, making it a third class relic. I spent that time praying for every one on my prayer list. We were very lucky because they were getting ready to close the church. We were one of the last ones permitted in the coffin area.

After a quick dinner of panini, we went to another large square, where there were artists. I bought a watercolor of the Vatican painted by a young Iranian woman who was living there studying language.

No comments: